Real Property Tax Appeals

If you think your town has over-assessed your home or commercial property, we can do something about it. In a revaluation year we can meet with the company doing the reassessment. If you aren't happy with those results, we can appeal to the Board of Assessment Appeals. Further relief may be available in the Superior Court on a cost effective basis. You may be able to do the first steps yourself and minimize legal fees, but ask me how you can be effective in those steps.

In the nearly 500 tax appeal cases I've handled, I've represented homeowners, business owners, non-profits and municipalities. Appeals involved everything from small residential matters to significant commercial buildings, corporate headquarters and nursing homes. Most notably, I successfully defended the Town of Fairfield in a $95.9 million tax appeal involving GE's corporate headquarters.

Note, however, than an overassessment of a few thousand dollars is unlikely to give you more in tax savings than it costs you to go to court. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Timing is critical. You must file with your local Board of Assessment Appeals ("BAA") when the forms come out, which is usually in February. I recommend that you obtain an appraisal for your property as of the revaluation date (October first when the last revaluation was done) and submit it to the BAA. When the BAA renders its decision, you have two months from the date the notice is mailed to you to take an appeal to the Superior court. If you miss the deadline, you wait until the following year.

Need answers your questions about tax appeals? Call me at 203 222-8422 or send me an email.